This soup is so easy to make – it has minimal ingredients, and there are endless options for toppings. Instead of using cream or flour, which is traditionally used in a cream of broccoli soup, cannellini beans are used and they bring such a nice flavour with them as well.
Here are some of my favourite topping ideas for this soup (but you can also just keep it simple and have it by itself!):
- Grated old cheddar cheese (can use vegan) and crispy onions (as pictured)
- Fresh torn basil and chili flakes
- Homemade garlic croutons
- A slice of buttered and grilled sourdough, fresh herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil
Creamy (Vegan) Broccoli Soup
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 jalepeño, seeds removed if sensitive to spice
- 2 small broccoli heads, cut into pieces
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large handful spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Over medium high heat, sauté onion, garlic and jalepeño in a dutch oven or large pot, until onions start to soften. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add 2 small heads of chopped broccoli, and stir frequently for 8-10 minutes until broccoli starts to cook through and brown on edges.
- Mix in one can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans, and 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring to a simmer, and add spinach. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off, and blend using a hand blender (or you can transfer in batches to a counter blender).
- Serve with more cracked pepper, and other favourite toppings.