This yam (or sweet potato, if you’re in the States!) and chickpea coconut milk and turmeric curry is so hearty, and is perfect on top of some white or brown rice, but any type of grain will do. It’s so delicious, and is even better as leftovers.
Yam + Chickpea Coconut-Turmeric Curry
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yams, cubed (can also use frozen)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime zest, and juice (about 2 tbsp)
- cilantro, for serving
- white or brown rice, for serving
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and stir until soft. Add ginger, garlic, yams, and chickpeas, and spices, and sauté for a few minutes until potatoes start to soften (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add veggie stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn heat to low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, stir and let heat through. Turn off heat. Add spinach and basil, and mix to combine all the ingredients. Serve on top of rice, with cilantro, more basil, and some chilli oil.