I love this tofu bowl – white sushi rice (can use quinoa, brown rice, rice noodles, etc. as well), sticky hoisin, garlic and ginger tofu, quick pickled cucumbers for some freshness and a crunch, garnished with some fresh cilantro and chopped up scallions.
This dish is great as is, but I like having a side of veggies of some sort, such as sautéed spinach or kale. You can also serve this with some steamed broccoli or green beans on the side.
Sticky Tofu and Quick Pickled Cucumber Bowl
- 1 cup rice, cooking as per package instructions
- 1 package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced and quartered (or you can use 1/4 of an English cucumber)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- green onions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- Set tofu on top of a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Wrap it in the paper towel and place a heavy pan on top (I like using a cast iron pan). Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Slice cucumber if adding, and let sit in vinegar for 30 minutes in a reusable ziplock bag or a bowl. Add some water if needed, so all of the cucumber is submerged in the liquid.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, start cooking the tofu.
- Cut tofu up into cubes and add to a bowl. Mix with cornstarch and sesame oil until all cubes are covered.
- Over medium high heat on a non-stick or cast iron pan, add tofu. Let the tofu crisp before flipping (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, lower heat. add sesame oil, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes, and heat for a few seconds, until fragrant. Add hoisin and the cornstarch and water mixture, and bring to a boil. Whisk until starting to thicken, about 1 minute.
- Add tofu. Mix to coat all of the tofu, and cook until heated through.
- Serve with rice, cilantro, scallions and quick pickled cucumber.