This is one of my favourite dishes that I often make on repeat. The toppings you can add are endless, and it takes less than 20 minutes to pull together. It has lots of greens, protein, and carbs. You can switch out the couscous with quinoa or rice, if you don’t have any on hand.
To make this vegan, you can use this recipe here by Minimalist Baker for the tzatziki. It uses coconut yogurt instead of real yogurt used in traditional tzatziki, and is so delicious and garlicy.
Some ideas for some variation:
- Add grilled garlic lemon tofu or prawns for some extra protein
- Replace the hummus with some roasted chickpeas for an extra crunch
- Add some corn for some sweetness
- Grill zucchini, onions and tomatoes in place of the tomato and cucumber salad, to keep the bowl warm throughout
Hope you enjoy!
Pearl Couscous Veggie Bowl
- 1 cup pearl or Israeli couscous
- 1 ½ cups veggie broth
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatos, sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed
- 2 tbsp tzatziki (either use store bought or homemade)
- 2 tbsp hummus (either store bought or homemade)
- scallions and parsley, for garnish
- Bring veggie broth to boil, and add couscous. Simmer covered for 8-10 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, chop up tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and parsley in a bowl. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and combine. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, sauté kale in a small pan with some olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop some pearl couscous into a bowl. Add kale, tomato and cucumber salad, tzatziki, and hummus. Squeeze some lemon juice on top, as well as some parsley for garnish.