This salad is so tasty and filling, thanks to the creamy avocado, crumbly goat feta and lemon chickpeas. The strawberries and basil in each bite give a nice fresh taste to the salad, and the balsamic vinaigrette brings it all together. Feel free to swap out the goat feta for any kind of feta, and add nuts or seeds for another layer of crunch.
Toasted Strawberry and Chickpea Salad
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens (I did mixed baby greens and arugula)
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup goat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Add all ingredients for the dressing into a sealable jar and shake until combined, or in a bowl and whisk until all combined.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Over medium-high heat, add oil to a pan. Add chickpeas, lemon juice from half a lemon, some lemon zest (save some for after it's cooked through), balsamic vinegar, and salt, and toast until golden brown on most sides (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat and mix in the rest of the lemon zest. Set aside to let cool.
- Cut strawberries, avocado, and basil while chickpeas are cooling. In a large bowl (or split into two bowls), add greens, and top with strawberries, avocado, and goat cheese. Add chickpeas. Drizzle dressing on top and toss to combine. Squeeze extra lemon juice on top, and serve.