This sandwich is quick and easy to make, thanks to the ready made Gardein chicken strips, but you can also use tofu (but may not get the same flavour).
Because there is no marinating needed, this dish can be pulled together in 15 minutes, and is perfect for a summer bbq with a light salad on the side.
Crispy “Chicken” Sammy
- 12 Gardein chicken strips
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking power
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- canola oil
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 2 pickles, sliced
- mayo (or vegan mayo, to keep it vegan)
- Add pickle juice and mustard into a bowl, and stir to combine.
- And remaining ingredients in separate bowl, and stir to combine.
- Dip the "chicken" strips into the wet mixture, and then the flour mixture, until coated. Dip one more time into the wet mixture, and then the dry. You can place them on a rack (with paper towel underneath to catch any excess) while you turn the heat on the stove, so that they are all ready to pop in.
- Over medium heat, add oil to pan. Sear each side until golden brown and place onto a paper towel (about 5 minutes total).
- Once all the strips are cooked through, assemble sandwich. I like adding mayo on the bottom and top of the bun, with sriracha directly on top of the strips. Add some pickles, lettuce, avocado and tomatoes.