Sour cream is used instead of buttermilk in this recipe, and it adds such a nice depth and tangy flavour to these light and flaky scones. These taste best when they’re warm out of the oven, and are delicious served with additional sour cream and more fresh strawberries, or if you have a sweeter tooth, some strawberry jam.
Strawberry Sour Cream Scones
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups flour, plus more for surface
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1 egg, whisked
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled and sliced
- 1 tsp raw sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Chop strawberries into little pieces, put into a bowl and sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on top. Mix through and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remainder of sugar into a large bowl. Using your hands, work butter into dry ingredients, smashing it between your fingers and flattening it between your palm until there are lots of thin shards and pea-size bits. Do not overwork, as the butter will melt.
- Add reserved strawberries and gently toss to evenly distribute. Whisk egg in a separate small bowl, and pour most of it into the large bowl (leave about 2 tbsp worth – this will be used to brush on the scones after).
- Add sour cream. Using a spatula mix everything well until a sticky dough forms. Add more flour as needed if dough is too wet.
- Flour hands so that you can handle the sticky dough. Turn dough over onto a floured surface and shape into a rectangle. Fold over and pat back into a rectangle a couple times (this creates layers). Cut in half and shape into 2 circles. Cut each circle in 4, and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush with the egg wash. You may at this point, sprinkle the scones with additional raw sugar, if choosing to add. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with additional sour cream.