I always love to throw together a stir fry if I have a bunch of vegetables that I need to use up in the fridge. It’s easy, healthy and delicious. I usually use this sauce to marinate the tofu, but this time I used it directly in the stir fry, and made crispy tofu instead, since the veggies take on a lot of the sauce’s flavor.
Taste the dressing as you go along – you can add more maple syrup or honey for sweetness, tamari or soy for saltiness, chili flakes for heat, and lime to make it more tangy. Once sautéed with the veggies and tofu, the flavor does soften, so keep that in mind. Hope you enjoy!
Tofu Stir Fry
Garlic Soy Dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup peppers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish
- scallions for garnish
- Mix all ingredients for the garlic soy dressing together with a fork or whisk, and set aside.
- Pat the tofu dry. Toss the tofu in cornstarch to lightly cover each cube.
- Add sesame oil to hot pan, over medium high heat. Add tofu, and sear each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a little more sesame oil, and add remaining veggies you have cut up, on a slightly higher heat and stir fry until almost tender. Add tofu and pour the garlicy soy sauce to coat all the ingredients. Continue stirring for another 3-5 minutes, depending how tender you want the veggies.
- Serve over rice (or cauliflower rice, or quinoa), with a drizzle of chili oil, and a sprinkle of scallions and sesame seeds. I drizzled my nut free “peanut” sauce that I make for salad rolls on top (see recipe below).
Nut free “Peanut” Sauce
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter or any other kind of nut/seed butter
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- chili flakes to taste
- big squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Mix all ingredients together either with a whisk or by shaking in a container, and add water as needed to thin it out to desired consistency. Add more of each ingredient to taste – more tamari for saltiness, more apple cider vinegar or lime for tanginess, maple syrup for sweetness, and more chilli flakes for spiciness.